An Australian man, believed to be 28-year-old man, who calls himself Brenton Tarrant, conducted a mass shooting at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, leaving dozens of people killed. Prior to the shooting, he reportedly wrote a 73-page "manifesto" about his plans.
The country's prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, immediately held a press conference, where she referred to the incident as "one of New Zealand's darkest days" and an "unprecedented act of violence."
On 15 March, a 28-year-old Australian man, who perpetrated deadly attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, streamed online the mass shooting at one of the scenes, with the footage rapidly spreading on social media. Over the first 24 hours, Facebook took down some 1.5 mln versions of the original video, but it still can be viewed.
Friday's attack on two mosques in New Zealand shows a different form of religious extremism that sees Islamic extremism as a threat that is analysed as “reactive co-radicalization” according to Douglas Pratt, Honorary Professor at the University of Auckland and Honorary Programme Officer of the Religious Diversity Centre of Aotearoa New Zealand.
Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms have faced criticism in the days following the attack on two mosques in New Zealand over failing to stop the rapid spread of the attack footage. The shooter live-streamed himself killing innocent worshipers during Friday prayers on Facebook and copies of the video continue to reappear online.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - US President Donald Trump on Monday dismissed media reports suggesting his rhetoric is partly to blame for last week's terror attack in New Zealand, calling such accusations "ridiculous."
An Australian lawmaker, who blamed the deadly shootings at two Christchurch mosques on immigration policies that “allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place”, found himself with egg on his face just a day after the attacks.
Over the past few days, the YouTube king’s name has been embroiled in a series of controversies: first it was used to deface a World War II memorial in New York, and then the New Zealand shooter, who live-streamed himself killing Muslims at two mosques in Christchurch, appeared to be encouraging people to subscribe to PewDiePie.
The Australian man charged over last week’s twin mosque attacks in New Zealand is believed to have acted alone, police said. Three people arrested after the massacre are not believed to have been involved, Police Commissioner Mike Bush said but added that he couldn't be conclusive.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Australian counter-terrorism police have raided two homes in New South Wales, including one belonging to the sister of Brenton Harrison Tarrant, the gunman who perpetrated fatal shootings at two mosques in New Zealand last week, the broadcaster 9 News reported on Monday.
Earlier in the day, New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced that following the mass shooting in Christchurch gun laws in the country would be reformed.
Following the mass shooting in the city of Christchurch, the politician has vowed to change the legislation, saying that there had been attempts to change the gun laws in the country back in 2005, 2012 and in 2017.
Duty lawyer Richard Peters. who represented Brenton Tarrant in court on Saturday confirmed to the media outlet New Zealand Herald on Sunday that he was no longer acting for his defendant.
A New Zealand court on Monday charged an 18-year-old teenager from the city of Christchurch with spreading online Brenton Tarrant's footage of Friday's mosque massacre, AFP reported, citing court documents.
The owner of a New Zealand gun shop said Monday that the man charged with murder in Friday's massacre in the city of Christchurch purchased rifles and ammunition from the shop online, Reuters reported.
Described by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as the nation's "darkest day", the 15 March Christchurch terror massacre saw 50 people killed and at least 50 injured.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The airport of the city of Dunedin in the south of New Zealand has resumed operations following an alert over a suspicious package that was found on the airfield earlier on Sunday.
On Saturday, a New Zealand court ruled that 28-year-old Australian national Brenton Tarrant should stay in custody without plea until 5 April. Earlier, he was charged with murder following the 15 March Christchurch mosque attacks which claimed the lives of 50 people.
In 2013, two Australians who once attended the Al-Noor mosque were killed in a drone strike on an al-Qaeda convoy. They were reportedly radicalised by Al-Noor preachers, a claim which mosque leaders denied.
The deadly massacre in two mosques rocked New Zealand's eastern city of Christchurch on Friday, leaving 50 killed and dozens injured.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - New Zealand police consider that three people out of four those detained after mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch have no links to the attack, New Zealand police commissioner, Mike Bush said at a press conference on Sunday.
A New Zealander claims that he went to the same rifle club as the Christchurch gunman; he alarmed the police by recalling what he saw there.
The fact of registration and authorization of users on Sputnik websites via users’ account or accounts on social networks indicates acceptance of these rules.
Users are obliged abide by national and international laws. Users are obliged to speak respectfully to the other participants in the discussion, readers and individuals referenced in the posts.
The websites’ administration has the right to delete comments made in languages other than the language of the majority of the websites’ content.
In all language versions of the sputniknews.com websites any comments posted can be edited.
A user comment will be deleted if it:
The administration has the right to block a user’s access to the page or delete a user’s account without notice if the user is in violation of these rules or if behavior indicating said violation is detected.
Users can initiate the recovery of their account / unlock access by contacting the moderators at email@example.com
The letter must contain:
If the moderators deem it possible to restore the account / unlock access, it will be done.
In the case of repeated violations of the rules above resulting in a second block of a user’s account, access cannot be restored.
To contact the team of moderators, write to firstname.lastname@example.org