24 July 2013, 16:46

Pressure mounts on scandalous NYC mayoral hopeful to quit the race

New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner admitted that he continued sexing after he publicly resigned from Congress last year amid a scandal for similar behavior. He refused to quit mayoral race though despite the new onslaught of negative publicity (VIDEO).

"I want to bring my vision to the people of the city of New York. I hope they are willing to still continue to give me a second chance," Weiner said during a news conference on Tuesday. “There is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me.”

On the same day the New York Times urged the discredited congressman to drop out of the race, saying he "should take his marital troubles and personal compulsions out of the public eye, away from cameras, off the Web and out of the race for mayor of New York City."

Weiner’s rivals for mayor did not fail to comment on the scandal. Three of them - Democrats Public Advocate Bill de Blasio and former City Councilman Sal Albanese, and Republican John Catsimatidis, - also called on the scandalous politician to quit the race.

"Enough is enough," de Blasio said. "The sideshows of this election have gotten in the way of the debate we should be having about the future of this city."

Another mayoral candidate, city Comptroller John Liu, didn’t call for Weiner to bow out, but suggested his "propensity for pornographic selfies is a valid issue for voters."

It's unclear how the new scandal will impact Weiner's campaign. Some New Yorkers have shown a willingness to forgive his past indiscretions since he announced his mayoral campaign via YouTube in May. He has been leading in the polls, with a last week survey showing he held 25 percent of the vote.

Anthony Weiner served as New York's 9th congressional district from January 1999 until June 2011. A member of the Democratic Party, he won seven terms, never receiving less than 59 percent of the vote. Weiner resigned from Congress after media found out that he sent sexually explicit photos and messages to women both before and during his marriage.

On July 23, 2013, more pictures and sexting allegedly by Weiner were released by the website The Dirty. They were sent under the alias Carlos Danger to a 22-year-old woman with whom Weiner had contact more than a year after leaving Congress.

NYC mayoral candidate stays in race amid sex scandal

New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner has vowed to press for political rehabilitation on Tuesday, after admitting that he was the subject of an explicit self-taken picture published earlier. Weiner called a press conference to address the latest allegations that he had continued to exchange sexually explicit messages with young women even after he resigned his Congressional seat because of similar revelations in June 2011.

Accompanied by his wife, Huma Abedin, a top aide to Hillary Clinton, he apologized while reading a prepared statement.

“This behavior is behind me. I've apologized to my wife, Huma, and I'm grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and that I've had her forgiveness. I want to again say how very sorry I am to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused,” he said.

He also noted that he would not drop out of the city's mayoral race, which will be decided by voters in November. Three of his rivals immediately called on him to stand aside.

His wife surprisingly supported and defended him during the press conference.

"Anthony's made some horrible mistakes, both before he resigned from Congress and after. But I do very strongly believe that it's between us and our marriage. I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him," she said.

The results of this sex scandal will be revealed during September’s primary elections, when Democratic voters decide whether he’s worthy enough to represent the party in the mayoral race as he’s not the only disgraced politician aiming for a comeback.

Two weeks ago, former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer - who resigned in 2008 after admitting to paying for sex with prostitutes - announced his candidacy for city controller.

Voice of Russia, Foxnews, abcnews, BBC

  •  
    and share via