Pulling US forces from Manbij is "not something we are looking into", US Central Command chief General Joseph Votel said Monday.
Earlier this month, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Ankara will not limit its precautionary measures against Kurdish fighters to Syria's Afrin district but could move to Manbij, also in Aleppo province.
Following Cavusoglu's statement, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Turkish Forces would completely clear the region of terrorists, beginning with the Syrian city of Manbij and throughout the entire Turkey-Syria border.
Prior to Erdogan's speech, the Turkish Armed Forces launched an operation, dubbed Olive Branch, against Kurdish forces in Syria's Afrin district. The Turkish government said it had informed Damascus and Moscow, its co-guarantor in the Syrian peace process, of its operation, and has taken into account the position of Tehran, the third guarantor state. The operation, Turkey said, is aimed solely at "terrorists".
Besides Turkey, the US also deployed troops to Syria in 2014 without obtaining a mandate from either the UN or Syria. Damascus has numerous times called on both countries to withdraw their troops from Syrian territory.
In his most recent call, Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad dubbed such deployments "invasive," adding that Damascus would regard such actions as "occupation." Russia has called for preserving Syria's integrity.