On 27 September, Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other of carrying out provocations in the area of Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-majority land that proclaimed independence from then Soviet Republic od Azerbaijan in 1991 and has since sought international recognition.
Yerevan and the Nagorno-Karabakh republic immediately took the decision to declare martial law and a full-scale mobilisation. Baku, for its part, declared partial martial law and shortly thereafter announced partial mobilisation. Armenia, Azerbaijan and the Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh have all reported casualties, both military and civilian.
The international community has urged the sides to the decades-old conflict to cease fire and return to the negotiating table within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group.
Earlier, Armenian President Armen Sarkissian said that Yerevan will recognise the independence of Nagorno-Karabakh if it sees that Azerbaijan is refusing to comply with agreements made during peaceful negotiations.
The latest Yerevan-Baku ceasefire came into force at midnight local time on Saturday (20:00 GMT).
Ottawa earlier suspended the export of drone-related equipment to Turkey over reports that some of it might have been used in the ongoing Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Skirmishes between the two countries continue in the Nagorno-Karabakh region despite the sides signing a ceasefire agreement on 9 October after 11-hour talks in Moscow.
Hostilities have been going on in Nagorno-Karabakh since late September. Though a ceasefire deal was reached in Moscow between the conflicting parties, it's not observed. Sputnik Head Dmitry Kiselev held parallel interviews with the Azerbaijani and Armenian leaders, where they were asked the same questions and given equal time.
The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh, which escalated at the end of September, has reportedly claimed several hundred lives. Despite the reached agreement mediated by Russia, there is no sustainable truce yet. Sputnik head Dmitry Kiselev spoke with both Armenian and Azerbaijani leaders in parallel interviews.
In an exclusive parallel interview with Sputnik, Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev and Armenia’s Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan have addressed the most pressing issues regarding the ongoing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh. Both leaders were given an equal amount of time and identical questions.
Earlier in the day, the Armenian Defence Ministry said that it "reserves the right" to attack any military facility in Azerbaijan after saying that Baku had hit military equipment on Armenian territory.
Both Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of conducting attacks after the sides agreed to a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, beginning on 10 October.
Last week, after talks mediated by Moscow, Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed to a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, beginning 10 October, in order to exchange prisoners and the bodies of those killed during the conflict. However, both sides have repeatedly accused each other of violating the deal.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has earlier said that there was a threat of a humanitarian crisis in the conflict-ridden Nagorno-Karabakh region, where ongoing ceasefire violations have been reported.
The decades-old dispute between Yerevan and Baku over the region of Nagorno-Karabakh began in 1988, when the Pandora’s Box of nationalism unleashed by perestroika prompted the territory to try to break off from Azerbaijan and join Armenia. Fighting for the territory has caused over 40,000 deaths, and the displacement of 1.1 million people.
The president of the self-proclaimed republic of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh), Arayik Harutyunyan, said that the ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan that took effect at noon on Saturday was not fully observed over the weekend.
Officials in Yerevan and the unrecognised region of Nagorno-Karabakh have repeatedly accused Israel and Turkey of providing extensive military assistance to Azerbaijan for its war in the region. Azerbaijan has called these claims "over-exaggerated" and has accused Armenia of trying to "undermine" good relations between Baku and Tel Aviv.
ANKARA (Sputnik) - The newly announced ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh is an important development, but it cannot replace a comprehensive solution to the long-lasting conflict, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
Large-scale hostilities in Azerbaijan’s Armenian-dominated breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh erupted on 27 September when both parties accused each other of violating the ceasefire.
Both Armenia and Azerbaijan previously confirmed their readiness to engage in negotiations that are expected to take place in Moscow later on Friday.
Satellite photos from over the weekend seem to prove the Armenian government’s claim that Turkey has secretly sent several F-16 fighter jets to Azerbaijan amid the renewed conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh region. Ankara previously dismissed Yerevan’s claims an F-16 had shot down one of its planes as a “cheap propaganda stunt.”
Baku stated that it has launched a counter-offensive in response to alleged attacks by the Armenian military along the line of contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. Yerevan later accused Azerbaijan of shelling the Holy Saviour Cathedral in the city of Shushi in Karabakh, injuring civilians, including a journalist, although Baku has denied this.
The conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh escalated in late September when both sides accused each other of provoking military hostilities.