N Korea 'Handful of Months' Away from Capability to Attack US - Pompeo

© AP Photo / Jon Chol JinPeople watch a launching of a Hwasong-12 strategic ballistic rocket aired on a public TV screen at the Pyongyang Train Station in Pyongyang, North Korea, Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017
People watch a launching of a Hwasong-12 strategic ballistic rocket aired on a public TV screen at the Pyongyang Train Station in Pyongyang, North Korea, Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017 - Sputnik International
Subscribe
US
India
Global
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director Mike Pompeo warned on Monday that North Korea's nuclear program is expanding and Kim Jong Un is just "a handful of months" away from being able to launch a strategic nuclear missile at the United States.

North Korea's nuclear ambitions are a serious risk to the United States, Pompeo told CBS News in an interview, adding that Kim Jong Un is only "a handful of months" from being able to strike the United States with a nuclear warhead.

READ MORE: DPRK Delegation Arrives in South Korea to Inspect Olympic Venues — Reports

Soldiers during a military parade marking the 105th birthday of Kim Il-Sung, the founder of North Korea, in Pyongyang - Sputnik International
North Korea Reportedly Plans to Hold Military Parade on Eve of 2018 Olympics
Pyongyang continues its drive to expand its nuclear weapons program focusing on capability and reliability, he said.

The situation on the Korean Peninsula grew particularly tense in 2017 as Pyongyang continued to pursue its nuclear and missile programs despite warnings of the international community. The UN Security Council imposed several rounds of sanctions on Pyongyang last year, in particular forbidding oil sales to North Korea and buying textiles from the country.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала