WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Earlier this month, the Clinton Foundation announced a limit to all foreign government donations except from Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and the United Kingdom.
The New York-based foundation and its founding member Hillary Clinton have recently come under fire for lack of transparency in the wake of the launch of her 2016 presidential campaign.
"We will have to see what steps the Clinton Foundation intends to take, but based on what they have said publically, it sounds like they are serious about correcting those mistakes,” Earnest said in a press briefing.
Political supporters and adversaries alike decry the perceived conflict of interest created by not declaring tens of millions of dollars in foreign money to the Clinton Foundation.
Earnest said on Thursday that it is still too early to pass judgement on whether accepting the donations influenced Clinton’s policy decisions in any way during her tenure as Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013.
On Wednesday, local media reported that the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) has yet to submit information to the State Department about the foreign donations it received for the four-year period when Clinton served as Secretary of State.
Clinton announced her bid to seek the Democratic presidential nomination on April 12 and stepped down from the board of the Clinton Foundation. The charitable organization continues to face criticism over accepting foreign donations, a complete list of which it has not published since 2010.