01:52 GMT29 October 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 0 0
    Subscribe

    The state of emergency in Tunisia was introduced in July 2015 after a number of attacks on civilians, including the terror act targeting the resort town of Port Kantaoui in the Sousse province that has claimed the lives of 40 people.

    Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi has decided to prolong the country's state of emergency for three months starting from Saturday, the president's office said in a statement on Friday.

    "After consultations with Prime Minister [Youssef Chahed] and the chair of the Assembly of the Representatives of the People [Mohamed Naceur], the president of the republic [Essebsi] made a decision to prolong the state of emergency in the country for three more months, this will come into effect on November 12," the statement, published on Facebook, read.

    The state of emergency was previously prolonged for one month on October 12.

    The latest deadly incident occurred in the country on November 1, when two police officers were stabbed near the Tunisian parliament's building in what the authorities said was an alleged terror attack.

    Related:

    Tunisia Split Along Religious Lines Over Bill Giving Women Equal Property Rights
    Tunisia Foils Daesh Plan to Seize Country's Southern Territories
    Mattis Says US Looks for Greater Defense Cooperation With Tunisia
    Austria Calls for Mediterranean Migrants to Go to Camps in Tunisia, Egypt
    IMF Approves $314Mln Loan Disbursement to Tunisia
    Tags:
    terrorism, state of emergency, Beji Caid Essebsi, Tunisia
    Community standardsDiscussion