05:41 GMT +316 June 2019
Listen Live
    A Belgian police officer stands guard near the federal police headquarters in Brussels, March 19, 2016, after Salah Abdeslam, the most-wanted fugitive from November's Paris attacks, was arrested after a shootout with police in Brussels on Friday.

    US Government Personnel Asked to Defer Travel to Brussels Until March 29

    © REUTERS / Francois Lenoir
    Europe
    Get short URL
    Brussels Terrorist Attacks (244)
    0 13

    The US embassy in Brussels said that the US government officials should avoid all non-essential travel to Brussels following Tuesday terrorist attacks on the Belgian capital.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US government officials should avoid all non-essential travel to Brussels following Tuesday terrorist attacks on the Belgian capital, the US embassy in Brussels said in a security message.

    "US government personnel have been requested to defer non-essential travel to Brussels until Tuesday, March 29, 2016," the embassy stated on Wednesday. "The US Embassy remains open for emergency US citizen services only."

    Earlier on Wednesday, US State Department spokesperson Mark Toner said the United States has still not accounted for all its government personnel in Brussels after the deadly attacks.

    On Tuesday, the United States restricted travel to Belgium for all US military personnel and their families.

    According to the latest official reports, 31 people were killed and 300 injured in a series of terrorist attacks in Brussels on Tuesday. The US authorities underscored that police activity in the city continues.

    Topic:
    Brussels Terrorist Attacks (244)

    Related:

    Hunt for Abdeslam May Have Led to Failure to Stop Brussels Attacks
    Whoops! One World Trade Center Honors Brussels Victims With Wrong Colors
    Brussels Airport to Remain Closed for Passenger Flights Through Friday
    Tags:
    United States, Brussels, Belgium
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik