11:31 GMT +315 December 2017
Listen Live
    Tank crews of the separatist self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic Army stand on top of their tanks at a checkpoint on the road from the town of Vuhlehirsk to Debaltseve

    Donetsk Observes Ceasefire, Does Not Respond to Kiev 'Provocations'

    © REUTERS/ Baz Ratner
    Europe
    Get short URL
    After Minsk: Will Peace Come to Ukraine? (1049)
    0 54

    According to the deputy commander of the DPR independence forces, the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic strictly observes the ceasefire and does not respond to "sporadic provocations from Ukrainian troops."

    DONETSK (Sputnik) — The situation near the contact line between Kiev-led forces and eastern Ukrainian militia is stabilizing, and the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) is continuing the withdrawal of its heavy weapons, deputy commander of the DPR independence forces said Thursday.

    “The Donetsk People’s Republic continues its withdrawal of heavy weapons from the contact line outlined in the Minsk agreements from September 19 last year,” Basurin told reporters.

    Basurin added that the situation at the contact line is gradually stabilizing, and the independence forces “strictly observe the ceasefire and do not respond to sporadic provocations from Ukrainian troops.”

    The self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic could abandon the ceasefire agreement reached in Minsk if Kiev-led forces continue the shelling of settlements and militia’s positions in the region, the deputy commander of the DPR militia said Thursday.

    “If Ukrainian armed forces continue shelling suburbs, towns and villages in the DPR, the DPR may unilaterally declare that it will abandon this Minsk agreement,” Eduard Basurin told reporters.

    A ceasefire agreement between Kiev and eastern Ukrainian militia was reached in September last year, during talks in Minsk brokered by Russia and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). A memorandum specifying the ceasefire’s implementation was signed shortly after.

    Despite the truce deal, fighting failed to cease in eastern Ukraine, with both sides blaming each other of provocations.

    A new ceasefire deal was outlined during talks between the leaders of Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France last week, and entered into force over the weekend. According to OSCE monitors, fighting subsided in most areas of Ukraine’s war-torn Donbas region amid the renewed ceasefire agreement.

    Topic:
    After Minsk: Will Peace Come to Ukraine? (1049)

    Related:

    Donetsk Invites OSCE Monitors to Oversee Prisoner Swap
    Donetsk Ready to Swap All Kiev Servicemen Captured in Debaltseve
    Donetsk Ready to Hand Over up to 3,500 Dead Soldiers in Debaltseve to Kiev
    Let Them in: Donetsk on Possible Peacekeepers Deployment in Ukraine
    Tags:
    ceasefire, Minsk agreement, Donetsk, Ukraine
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment