The patient in question is a 39-year-old resident of Uliastai district. He experienced high fever, headache, and muscle pain after eating marmot meat with his family a week ago. He has been isolated at a local hospital.
At least nine people who've come into contact with him have been isolated at homes.Two cases of the disease were confirmed in Western Mongolia. In addition, a 15-year-old boy died of bubonic plague in the western Mongolian province of Govi-Altai.
Medics found out that three days before his death, the teenager ate marmot meat with friends.
Plague is most often transmitted by fleas living on wild rodents.