EU Decries Attack on Mercer Street Vessel in Gulf of Oman as 'Reckless'
© JOHAN VICTORThe Mercer Street, a Japanese-owned Liberian-flagged tanker managed by Israeli-owned Zodiac Maritime that was attacked off Oman coast as seen in Cape Town, South Africa, January 2, 2016 in this picture obtained from ship tracker website, MarineTraffic.com. Picture taken January 2, 2016. Johan Victor/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES.
© JOHAN VICTOR
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The European Union denounces "in the strongest terms" the recent attack on the Japanese-owned Mercer Street oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman that left two crew members dead, saying "such reckless and unilateral actions" cannot be justified, the EU's foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, said Sunday.
"The European Union condemns in the strongest terms the unlawful attack committed on the merchant vessel Mercer Street, off Masirah Island in Oman, on 29 July. There is no justification for this attack which killed a Romanian as well as a British citizen", Borrell said in a statement.
© REUTERS / RULA ROUHANAMercer Street, an Israeli-managed oil tanker that was attacked off the coast of Oman, is seen near Fujairah Port in United Arab Emirates, August 3, 2021.
Mercer Street, an Israeli-managed oil tanker that was attacked off the coast of Oman, is seen near Fujairah Port in United Arab Emirates, August 3, 2021.
"Such reckless and unilateral actions, against international law and threatening to international peace, are unacceptable and need to stop. Freedom of navigation must be guaranteed in accordance with international law", the statement added.
Israel, the United Kingdom and the United States, along with some other nations, put the blame on Iran, despite Tehran denying having any role in the incident.
The Japanese-owned ship was assaulted by a drone off the coast of Oman last week, resulting in the deaths of two crew members. Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett accused Iran of being involved in the attack. Later, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken made statements, also blaming the Islamic republic for the incident.