WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US government has yet to see a proposal by a Russian arms manufacturer to conduct a reenactment of the MH17 plane crash to determine exactly what happened, State Department spokesperson John Kirby told reporters.
“I haven’t seen reports about this experiment,” Kirby said on Friday when asked if the United States would support an experiment to recreate the MH17 incident. “What we support [are]… investigations that are going on right now.”
Earlier on Friday, Russian arms manufacturer Almaz-Antey offered to recreate the MH17 plane crash by shooting a decommissioned analogue of the Malaysian Boeing 777 airplane by detonating a 9M38M1 missile placed next to the fuselage.
In September 2014, the Dutch Safety Board released a preliminary report into the crash in which it stated that the Boeing 777 ripped apart in mid-air after being hit by numerous high-energy objects. The Dutch Safety Board’s final report will likely be released in October 2015.
On Tuesday, Malaysia submitted a draft resolution to the UN Security Council calling for the creation of a UN tribunal to prosecute those responsible for MH17 incident.
The Russian Foreign Ministry has called the proposal for an international tribunal on the MH17 incident premature and counterproductive.
On July 17, 2014, a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 flying from Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam crashed in southeastern Ukraine killing all 298 people on board the airplane.