Earlier in the day, Trump said that the United States would not allow transgender people to serve in the US military in any capacity.
"This is an outrageous and desperate action. The thousands of transgender service members serving on the front lines for this country deserve better than a commander-in-chief who rejects their basic humanity… The president is trying to score cheap political points on the backs of military personnel who have put their lives on the line for their country," the statement said.
According to Block, there is no basis for turning transgender people away from the US military service, and the ACLU is examining all options to oppose Trump's initiative.
In June 2016, the Pentagon ended the ban on transgender people serving openly in the military or from being discharged based solely on their status. Then-Defense Secretary Ashton Carter gave the military branch commanders one year — until July 1, 2017 — to determine how to recruit transgender people and make changes to training.
On June 30, Defense Secretary James Mattis ordered the recruitment of transgender applicants to be delayed for six months.