01:23 GMT05 June 2020
Listen Live
    US
    Get short URL
    1210
    Subscribe

    The US Department of State on Sunday refused to comment on reports of a US-Russian agreement to allow militants leave the besieged areas of Syria's east Aleppo.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) Earlier in the day, media reports said the United States and Russia had agreed to open up evacuation routes for civilians and lightly-armed militants in eastern Aleppo. Reports cited a Syrian opposition official who stated the agreement would be implemented within two days, but that the rebels had not yet accepted the proposal.

    "We'll let you know if and when we have an update but nothing to announce at this time," State Department's Press Office head Elizabeth Trudeau told RIA Novosti.

    If implemented, the deal will reportedly have militants from the Nusra Front terror group (outlawed in Russia) brought to the Idlib province. Other rebels will be free to go elsewhere as long as they leave heavy weapons behind.

    Related:

    Russia Has Evacuated Nearly 80,000 Civilians From Aleppo Since Liberation Began
    Over 2,000 Civilians Escape Eastern Aleppo Sunday Morning
    West Deprived of 'Heavy Arguments' Against Russia, Damascus in Aleppo
    Tags:
    withdrawal, Russia, Syria, Aleppo, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook