14:55 GMT +318 August 2019
Listen Live
    The guard tower of Camp Six detention facility of the Joint Detention Group at the US Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (File)

    Obama Says ‘Not Ready to Concede’ Gitmo to Remain Open After Leaves Office

    © AFP 2019 / JIM WATSON
    US
    Get short URL
    113

    US President Barack Obama said that he is not ready to concede that the prison at Guantanamo Bay will remain open.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – US President Barack Obama said Thursday he was "not ready to concede" that the US military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, will stay open after the end of his presidential term.

    "I am not ready to concede that it may still remain open because we are still working diligently to continue to shrink the population," Obama told a press conference in Vientiane, Laos.

    In the wake of 9/11 attacks the US government opened a detention center for terror suspects at the military base at Guantanamo Bay in 2002. As suspects deemed dangerous may be subjected to indefinite detention without charges of trial in the prison, it is largely criticized by domestic and international watchdogs as violating human rights. The detention center is also notorious for torture and abuse.

    In 2008 Obama, then a presidential hopeful, made a pre-election pledge to close the Guantanamo prison by 2010, however, it remains operational so far.

    Related:

    Former Gitmo Prisoner on Hunger Strike to Reunite With Family
    Tick Tock: Biden 'Hopes and Expects' Gitmo to Close Before Obama Leaves Office
    Obama Weakens US National Security by Releasing Gitmo Detainees
    Gitmo Release Gives Prisoners ‘One-Way Ticket’ Back to Battlefield - Congressman
    Tags:
    Guantanamo Bay, Barack Obama, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik