MOSCOW, August 28 (RIA Novosti) –The list of Russian military units allegedly deployed in the conflict area in east Ukraine was a “hoax,” the Russian Defense Ministry said.
“We noted the release of this hoax information and we have to disappoint its authors overseas… The information in this material is absolutely untrue,” ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said.
Earlier in the day, Kiev claimed that Russian troops have entered Ukraine.
Russia denied the accusations, saying that “there are no Russian convoys” in Ukraine.
The UN Security Council will convene for an emergency meeting Thursday to discuss the situation in Ukraine.
Kiev authorities launched a special military operation in mid-April against independence supporters in the southeast of Ukraine, who refused to recognize the legitimacy of the country’s coup-imposed government.
Since the beginning of the military conflict, Kiev has been accusing Russia of sending troops and weaponry to independence supporters in the region.