14:10 GMT +321 September 2019
Listen Live
    State Department Spokesman John Kirby

    State Dept: ‘No Plans’ to Make Public Memo Urging Strikes on Syrian Gov't

    © AFP 2019 / MANDEL NGAN
    Politics
    Get short URL
    233
    Subscribe

    US Department of State spokesperson John Kirby said that the department has no plans to make public an internal memo calling for the United States to take military action against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — US Department of State has no plans to make public an internal memo calling for the United States to take military action against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government, US Department of State spokesperson John Kirby said in a briefing on Friday.

    "There’s no plans to make it public," Kirby stated when asked when the State Department would release the dissent letter.

    Furthermore, Kirby said there will be no investigation as to how the letter ended up in the public domain.

    Kirby also said that the United States has not made a proposal for members of the opposition in Syria to join government of President Bashar Assad.

    "No," Kirby stated when asked whether there is a US proposal to add members of the opposition to the active government in Damascus.

    Earlier on Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the US proposal to consider a possibility of incorporating representatives of the opposition into the Syrian government is "absolutely reasonable."

    Related:

    US State Dept. Reviewing Employee Cable Urging Military Acts Against Assad
    US Diplomats Used Memo to Compel Russia to Work With Them on Assad
    Tags:
    Bashar al-Assad, John Kirby, Syria, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik