WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — On Thursday, Department of Defense spokesman Christopher Sherwood told Sputnik that US service members associated with an attack on a Doctors Without Borders medical facility in Kunduz were suspended and referred for administrative action.
"For good reason the victims’ family members will see this as both an injustice and an insult: the US military investigated itself and decided no crimes had been committed," Human Rights Watch Senior Researcher Patricia Gossman stated in a post on Thursday.
Gossman added that the US military justice system’s poor record of prosecuting alleged war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq illustrates the necessity for a criminal inquiry "outside the military chain of command."
On October 3, 2015, a US AC-130 gunship aircraft shot 30mm cannon shells for 30 minutes into a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, killing more than 40 medical staff and patients, including children.
In late November 2015, US forces Commander in Afghanistan Gen. John Campbell told reporters the Kunduz bombing was an avoidable mistake caused by human error.