23:05 GMT30 October 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    134
    Subscribe

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The Jordanian authorities have declared a 40-day morning following the death of Kuwaiti Emir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the office of King Abdullah II said on Tuesday.

    "The Royal Hashemite Court mourns the passing of Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah, may his soul rest in peace. By His Majesty King Abdullah’s orders, the Royal Hashemite Court has announced 40 days of mourning over Sheikh Sabah’s passing, as of Tuesday. The Royal Hashemite Court expresses the deepest sympathies of King Abdullah and the people of Jordan, as they stand with the people of Kuwait in these difficult times," the Jordanian king's office said in a statement.

    The Kuwaiti emir died earlier in the day while undergoing medical treatment in the United States, as announced by Ali Al-Jarrah Al Sabah, the minister responsible for the emir's affairs.

    The emir was hospitalised in Kuwait on July 18 for surgery, reportedly to remove two tumours, and later transported to the US for further treatment. According to the Kuwaiti authorities' communications since his condition was stable and gradually improving.

    Emir Sabah IV had ruled Kuwait since 2006. He briefly served as prime minister and foreign minister for several decades before that.

    Tags:
    Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah, Kuwait, mourning, Jordan
    Community standardsDiscussion