“It was a deliberate error made by an individual who needs to be disciplined,” Ellwood told the BBC’s Daily Politics.
On October 15, the Saudi-led coalition admitted in the official statement the fact that one of its aircraft was behind a deadly bombing, adding that the attack was carried out based on false information.
"I went to Riyadh last week to tell them that they need to come out with a report immediately, they did that, it was released on the weekend and they put their hand up and said this was a gross breach of standard operating procedures,” the minister added.
Yemen has been engulfed in a military conflict between the government headed by Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and Houthi rebels since 2014. The Houthis are backed by army units loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh. Since March 2015, the Saudi-led coalition of mostly Persian Gulf countries has been carrying out airstrikes against the opposition Houthis at the request of Hadi.