11:00 GMT +323 May 2019
Listen Live
    Smoke billows from a Houthi-controlled military base after a Saudi-led air strike hit its weapons depots in Yemen's capital Sanaa September 12, 2015

    Saudi Arabia Should Probe Into Civilian Deaths Reports in Yemen

    © REUTERS / Mohamed al-Sayaghi
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)
    323

    Saudi Arabia has to launch an inquiry on the reported cases of civilian deaths in the result of Saudi-led alliance's air raids in Yemen and take steps to prevent them, a US State Department official told Sputnik.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Saudi Arabia should investigate the reports of civilian deaths by the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen, and take measures to minimize the threat to civilians, a US State Department official told Sputnik.

    "We have asked the Saudi government to investigate all credible reports of civilian casualties resulting from coalition-led airstrikes and, if confirmed, to address the factors that led to them," the official said on Wednesday.

    Earlier in the week, at least 27 people, mainly women and children, were killed in two separate airstrikes by the coalition against opposition Houthi forces in Yemen.

    "Civilians deaths in any conflict are tragic. We take all accounts of civilian deaths due to the ongoing hostilities in Yemen very seriously," the official stated. "We urge all sides to exercise restraint, comply with international humanitarian law, and take all feasible measures to minimize harm to civilians."

    The official said that a solution to the Yemeni conflict must be a political one, and called on all sides to the conflict to urgently return to the negotiation table.

    "We continue to support the United Nations-led political transition and the UN Special Envoy. We urge all parties to de-escalate hostilities and return to the political transition process," the official concluded.

    On Tuesday, The UN special advisers criticized the international community for being silent about the threat to civilians in the increased number of air attacks in Yemen.

    The country has been engulfed in a military conflict between the opposition Houthis and government forces.

    In late March, the Saudi-led coalition of nine Arab states began an aerial campaign against Houthi positions at the request of the country's president-in-exile Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.

    According to United Nations estimates, at least 2,204 civilians have been killed in the conflict in Yemen.

    Topic:
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)

    Related:

    Saudi-Led Coalition Airstrike Kills 12 in Northern Yemen
    UK Arms Supplies to Saudi Arabia 'Quietly' Fuel Yemen Conflict
    Saudi-Led Coalition Airstrike in Southwest Yemen Kills 15 - Source
    Tags:
    U.S. Department of State, civilian casualties, Yemen War, Yemen, Saudi Arabia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik