07:40 GMT01 March 2021
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 22
    Subscribe

    Those who planned the attack must be brought to justice, Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson also added.

    UNITED NATIONS, January 7 (Sputnik) — The UN Secretary-General condemns “in the strongest terms” the attack against a police academy in Yemen which killed at least 50 people, Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday.

    “The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest terms the attack against the police academy in Sana'a today. [Ban] expresses his condolences to the victims' families and wishes a swift recovery to all those wounded,” the statement posted on the UN website said.

    The statement added that those who planned the attack must be brought to justice.

    The bomb blast took place on Wednesday outside a police training college in Sanaa, Yemen’s capital, with no claim of responsibility so far. However, the al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has carried out similar attacks.

    The situation in Yemen has been unstable following anti-government uprisings in the wake of the 2011 Arab Spring. Several insurgent groups are active in the country, including AQAP which has been fighting the Houthi rebels. The Houthi rebels have taken control of parts of the country, including the capital.

    Related:

    Bomb Explosion Hits Houthi Base in Yemen Capital: Reports
    Nine Houthis Killed, Dozens Wounded in Yemen Explosion: Source
    Yemen: Large Explosion Hits City of Ibb, Kills at Least 33 Civilians
    Yemen’s Houthi Rebels Release Kidnapped Chief of Country’s Intelligence
    Tags:
    condemnation, attack, explosion, United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, Sanaa, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion