According to a source at STIB, the problem has now been resolved.
"The product that was used by the builders gave off a strong smell. As a result, 15 people were hospitalized, two metro stations were temporarily closed," the source said.
The company representative didn't specify, however, what kind of toxic substance, used by the builders during the construction works in the area, caused the poisoning.
The incident in the Belgian capital followed a dangerous event in Antwerp in August, when the city port was evacuated due to a fire in a storage facility with nickel sulfide, which created a toxic cloud. However, there were no reports on victims.