13:18 GMT04 March 2021
Listen Live
    Europe
    Get short URL
    Deadly Truck Attack in Nice (186)
    8213
    Subscribe

    At least 84 people have been killed and more than 100 injured after a 31-year old French national of Tunisian origin drove a white truck through a crowd celebrating France's national day in the city of Nice in what President Francois Hollande described as an "undeniable" terrorist attack.

    Where and When

    The attack took place at approximately 11 p.m. on Thursday night at Nice's waterfront following a fireworks display marking the Bastille Day holiday in the fifth most populous city in France. It has become the worst terrorist attack in Nice's history. 

    The claimed claimed the lives of at least 84 people, including children. Approximately 20 people are reported to be in critical condition.

    • A man walks through debris scatterd on the street the day after a truck ran into a crowd at high speed killing scores celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      A man walks through debris scatterd on the street the day after a truck ran into a crowd at high speed killing scores celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      © REUTERS / Eric Gaillard
    • Bullet imacts are seen on the heavy truck the day after it ran into a crowd at high speed killing scores celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      Bullet imacts are seen on the heavy truck the day after it ran into a crowd at high speed killing scores celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      © REUTERS / Eric Gaillard
    • French police continue their investigation as they work near the heavy truck that ran into a crowd at high speed celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais killing 80 people in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      French police continue their investigation as they work near the heavy truck that ran into a crowd at high speed celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais killing 80 people in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.
      © REUTERS / Eric Gaillard
    • Attack in Nice, France
      Attack in Nice, France
      © REUTERS / Eric Gaillard
    1 / 5
    © REUTERS / Eric Gaillard
    A man walks through debris scatterd on the street the day after a truck ran into a crowd at high speed killing scores celebrating the Bastille Day July 14 national holiday on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, July 15, 2016.

    Attacker

    The attack was carried out by a 31-year-old male, who held dual French and Tunisian nationality, who drove the truck into the crowd. His name has not been released yet. The driver was later killed by the police. Eyewitnesses have said that he fired at law enforcement officers before being fatally shot, but investigators have not confirmed these reports.

    No terrorist organization has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

    France has been plagued by terrorist attacks in recent months, including a deadly shooting at the office of the Charlie Hebdo magazine and the hostage crisis at a kosher supermarket in Paris on January 7-9, 2015, as well as coordinated shootings and bombings at the Bataclan theatre, the Stade de France stadium and other location in the French capital on November 13, 2015.

    European authorities should be prepared for similar terrorist attacks happening anywhere across the continent, Claude Moniquet, a retired French journalist and a former intelligence agent at the French Directorate-General for External Security, told RIA Novosti.

    Terrorists "could target anything, including beaches, restaurants, discos, trains, etc.," he observed.

    French fire brigade members aid an injured individual near the Bataclan concert hall following fatal shootings in Paris, France, November 13, 2015.
    © REUTERS / Christian Hartmann
    French fire brigade members aid an injured individual near the Bataclan concert hall following fatal shootings in Paris, France, November 13, 2015.

     

    State of Emergency

    The attack prompted the French president to extend the state of emergency that was declared following a night of terror in Paris last year by additional three months. The November 13 attack claimed 130 lives and left more than 360 people injured.

    The French anti-terror agency has been tasked with investigating the attack.

    Official Reaction

    "France as a whole is under the threat of Islamic terrorism. We have to demonstrate absolute vigilance and show determination that is unfailing," Francois Hollande said in his address. "We are in a war with terrorists who want to strike us at any price and in a very violent way," French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.

    US President Barack Obama described the incident as "a horrific terrorist attack," adding that "we stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack." US State Secretary John Kerry described the attack as "horrendous."

    "My prayers and condolences to the victims and families of the terrible tragedy in Nice, France. We are with you in every way!" Donald Trump tweeted.

    "Every American stands in strong solidarity with the people of France," Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "We say with one voice: we will not be intimidated. We will never allow terrorists to undermine the egalitarian and democratic values that underpin our very way of life."

    ​​"All of us who have come together at the ASEM summit are united in our feeling of disbelief at the attack of mass murder in Nice," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on the sidelines of a summit between Asian and European leaders in Mongolia. "Germany stands in the fight against terrorism at France's side, united with many, many others. I am convinced that, despite all the difficulties, we shall win this fight," she added.

    Other high-ranking European officials expressed similar sentiments.

    European leaders "stand united against violence and hatred," President of the European Council Donald Tusk said.

    ​"We will fight against terrorism" both in the EU and beyond its borders, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker pledged. "Our determination will be matched only by our unity."

    "My heart goes out to the victims and their families. My mind cannot grasp this senseless violence," Finland's former Prime Minister Alexander Stubb tweeted.

    Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev urged the international community to "show solidarity" and to "do everything we can to fight terrorism."

    ​Two upcoming events, a Rihanna concert and a jazz festival, have been cancelled following the attack.

    Social Media

    Many have taken to social media to express their condolences and horror after the attack in Nice.

    Topic:
    Deadly Truck Attack in Nice (186)

    Related:

    Weapons Found in Nice Truck Inoperable
    Truck Used in Deadly Nice Attack Rented Several Days Ago
    Two Russians Escape Scene of Nice Attack Unharmed, One of Witnesses Says
    Russian Prime Minister Calls for Joint Action Against Terrorism After Nice
    Tags:
    terrorism, attack, death toll, Nice Truck Attack, Jean-Claude Junker, Dmitry Medvedev, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Donald Trump, Francois Hollande, Donald Tusk, Barack Obama, Nice, France
    Community standardsDiscussion