06:22 GMT19 January 2021
Listen Live
    Europe
    Get short URL
    0 53
    Subscribe

    According to a military spokesman, Ukrainian military has pulled back weaponry with a caliber of over 100mm from the line of contact in two regions of the Donetsk People's Republic.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) The Ukrainian military has pulled back weaponry with a caliber of over 100mm from the line of contact in two regions of the Donetsk People's Republic, and is planning to complete the process of withdrawal in early November, a military spokesman said Thursday.

    "The withdrawal will finish in early November, on our side everything is taking place as it should, how the other side is pulling back – as far as I know they are also withdrawing [their weapons]," Leonid Matyukhin told the 112 Ukraina television channel.

    According to the spokesman, the weaponry has been withdrawn in two directions in the Donetsk region – Debaltseve and Mariupol.

    The Ukrainian government and the opposition militia in the southeast agreed to withdraw heavy artillery with a caliber of over 100mm from the line of contact in February 2015, moving in September to extend this withdrawal to weapons with a caliber under 100mm.

    The agreement was prepared in August by a security subgroup of the Trilateral Contact Group on Ukrainian reconciliation, including representatives from Ukraine, Russia and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe.

    Earlier this month, Kiev-led forces began withdrawing mortars and tanks in Ukraine's eastern Luhansk region.

    Related:

    Ukrainian Forces Begin Withdrawal of Mortars in Lugansk
    Withdrawal of Arms From Line of Contact in Donbass to Consolidate Truce
    OSCE Calls for Increase in Observers in Ukraine to Control Arms Withdrawal
    Tags:
    weaponry withdrawal, Donetsk People’s Republic, Ukraine
    Community standardsDiscussion