05:02 GMT26 October 2020
Listen Live
    Europe
    Get short URL
    10266
    Subscribe

    The Netherlands is considering calling for an international tribunal, backed by the UN Security Council, to prosecute those responsible for downing Malaysia Airlines’ flight MH17 in Ukraine's eastern region of Donetsk in July 2014, which could become the best option for the cooperation of all countries involved.

    The Netherlands wants to create an international court backed by the UN Security Council for further prosecution of those responsible for the crash of Malaysia Airlines’ flight MH17, according to Reuters report.

    "A UN tribunal is the best option. We expect that it will provide the greatest chance of cooperation from all countries involved," the agency quotes a high-level Dutch government official who declined to be named.

    Two other sources in the Netherlands, who “spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue”, said an international court backed by the UN Security Council could be the best option due to “the legal and political complexities of the case” and should be called once “a multinational investigation finishes and suspects are named.”

    Other legal options are also being considered, however, any domestic court is doomed to fail, the sources say.

    Meanwhile, the international investigation into the crash is still underway. Earlier in June, the Netherlands sent another investigative mission to eastern Ukraine for yet another on-site probe to research any additional evidence related to the cause of the crash.

    The Dutch Safety Board, which is investigating the crash, published a preliminary report last year stating the plane fell apart in midair after being hit by numerous high-energy objects. A final report is due in October.

    The Kiev government and Western nations have repeatedly accused independence supporters in eastern Ukraine of firing a Russian-made Buk surface-to-air missile at the airliner.

    Also in June, Russian arms manufacturer Almaz-Antey however unveiled the results of its own inquiry, showing that the type of Buk missile alleged to have been fired at flight MH17 has not been produced in Russia since 1999, but remains in service in the Ukrainian army.

    "During the first stage of our investigation, the type of system was established. It was a Buk-M1 system [NATO reporting name SA-11], a 9М38-М1 rocket and a 9М314 warhead," the head engineer of the company then said at a news conference.

    "We have conclusive evidence that the Ukrainian armed forces have this type of missile," Almaz-Antey general director Yan Novikov then told the journalists.

    Flight MH17, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, crashed over Ukraine's eastern region of Donetsk on July 17, 2014, killing 298 people on board.

    Related:

    Der Spiegel Apologizes to Readers over Coverage of Bellingcat MH17 Report
    MH17 Crash Report: Bellingcat Author Was a Stasi Employee
    Photography Experts Slam British Blogger's MH17 Crash Report as Fake
    British Blogger Takes Pride in Refusing to Defend His Claims on MH17 Crash
    US Will Not Provide New Information on MH17 Crash in Eastern Ukraine
    Tags:
    international tribunal, investigation, MH17, crash, Ukraine, Russia, Netherlands
    Community standardsDiscussion