17:11 GMT +322 September 2019
Listen Live
    19-year-old gunman

    Dutch Police Foil Teenager's Attempt to Raid TV Studio

    © AP Photo / NOS TV
    Europe
    Get short URL
    0 23
    Subscribe

    A teenager with a fake gun forced his way into the studio of Dutch TV broadcaster NOS, but was quickly apprehended by the police.

    MOSCOW, January 30 (Sputnik) — A 19-year-old forced his way into the TV studio of the Dutch network NOS demanding airtime, causing the cancellation of  the station's evening news bulletins and the evacuation of the building in Hilversum, North Holland, according to the BBC.

    Shortly after the man was overpowered, police special forces combed the building for explosives and declared it safe at about 21:00 GMT, police spokesman Christine Scholts said.

    "We are currently investigating who this man is and what he wants," she said.

    Poll

    What do you think is the most important event of the week?
    • Syriza's victory in Greek elections
      83.1% (891)
    • Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud becoming the new king of Saudi Arabia
      3.1% (33)
    • Auschwitz liberation 70th anniversary
      6.2% (66)
    • Miss Colombia being crowned Miss Universe
      7.6% (82)
    Voted: 1072
    "He took the security guard hostage and said he wanted airtime. If they didn't give it to him, he said there would be bombs in different places in the Netherlands that would explode if he didn't get time on TV," Scholts added.

    Prosecutors, for their part, said that the man, who is reportedly from the Dutch town of Pijnacker, is being held on suspicion of making a threat, illegal possession of a gun and taking a hostage.

    His motive remains unclear, Dutch media reported, adding that he was believed to be a student at Delft Technical University and had recently lost his parents.

    The NOS footage showed the man saying: "The things that are going to be said [pause] — those are very large world affairs. We were hired by the security service."

    According to the AP, a reporter speaking to the man said that he had claimed to be from a "hackers' collective."

    Earlier, Hilversum mayor Pieter Broertjes said that additional security measures had been taken to protect media workers after gunmen killed 12 people at the Paris offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo earlier in January.

    Related:

    Dutch Authorities Turn Down Request for UN Probe Into MH17 Disaster: Agency
    Dutch Will Allow Victim Families Glimpse of MH17 Wreckage at Air Base
    Belgium Museum Cancels Charlie Hebdo Exhibition, Cites Security Concerns
    Charlie Hebdo Attack Proves Mass Surveillance Powerless Claims Snowden
    Tags:
    threat, hostage, security, Charlie Hebdo, Netherlands
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik