09:17 GMT15 April 2021
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    225
    Subscribe

    No US nationals were among the victims of the deadly explosions in Indonesia’s capital that left at least 10 people dead earlier on Thursday, the US Embassy in Jakarta announced in a statement.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US embassy said that as a security precaution it would close on Friday and advised Americans to avoid Sari Pan Pacific Hotel and Sarinah Plaza, and warned that "further incidents" were possible.

    "No US citizens are among the victims. The Indonesian government has described the incident as a terrorist attack," the statement said on Thursday.

    Earlier in the day, at least 10 people were killed in a series of explosions in the downtown area Jakarta carried out by several assailants, who traveled on motorcycles, carrying rifles and explosives.

    Following the attack, the embassy strongly condemned the explosions and said that the United States and Indonesia would continue to work together to "combat the shared threat of terrorism."

    Jakarta's police say that Daesh militant group, which is prohibited in numerous countries, including Russia and the United States, was likely involved in the explosions.

    Related:

    Jakarta Blasts Follow Deadly Blueprint of Paris Attacks
    Indonesia to Tighten Security Measures in Bali After Blasts in Jakarta
    Mogherini Extends Condolences to Families of Jakarta Blasts Victims
    Tags:
    embassy, Indonesia, Jakarta
    Community standardsDiscussion