MOSCOW, January 12 (Sputnik) – Two workers were killed and four others injured following a nitrogen gas leak at an LG factory north of Seoul manufacturing liquid crystal displays, according to Yonhap News Agency.
One of the workers died at the scene, and another was pronounced dead while he was being transported to a hospital, according to Arirang News.
"We send our most heartfelt condolences and apologies to the deceased and will do everything in our power to help the injured recover as quickly as possible," LG Display Co. said in a statement.
According to the company’s statement, the workers, employed by an LG subcontractor, were carrying out routine repair and maintenance work on the ninth floor of the building, the AP reported.
The leak, which occurred at about 12:50 p.m. local time at a factory in the town of Paju, about 50 kilometers north of Seoul, was due to a gas valve being opened for an unidentified reason, according to Yonhap.
Nitrogen gas is colorless and odorless, making its detection difficult. It makes up 80% of the Earth’s atmosphere, but inhaling it in higher concentrations can lead to asphyxiation.
The incident follows another recent industrial nitrogen accident in South Korea, which occurred at the Shigori 3 nuclear reactor in Ulsan and claimed the lives of three workers, according to Sky News.