One Student Killed in Shooting at North Carolina High School, Gunman Remains at Large - Police
17:25 GMT 01.09.2021 (Updated: 21:32 GMT 01.09.2021)
Police in the city of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, reported on Wednesday that the city's Mount Tabor High School was in lockdown after gunshots were reported on school grounds.
"We and the WSPD have secured the campus and are doing everything possible to keep students safe," Winston Salem Police Department posted on Twitter at 1:02 pm Wednesday. "We are actively investigating what happened and will share confirmed information when available."
Forsyth County Sherriff Bobby Kimbrough later told reporters the student had been rushed to the hospital with a gunshot wound but the shooter is not in custody. He did not know if the shooter was also a student. He noted there were two police officers inside of the school when the shooting took place.
"The building, the kids are safe," Kimbrough said, noting they were figuring out where to keep students during the manhunt for the shooter.
At a press conference on Wednesday evening, Winston-Salem Police Chief Catrina Thompson told reporters the student who had been shot had succumbed to their injuries.
According to WXII 12, the high school's resource officer reported to them at roughly 12 pm local time that one student had been shot at the school, whose condition remains unknown. Forsyth County Police say they have secured the school but that local residents in the surrounding neighborhood were advised to shelter in place and to lock and not answer their doors.
Video posted on social media showed dozens of police blockading the school grounds from visitors and attempting to secure the area.
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Superintendent Tricia McManus told reporters the district had placed area schools in lockdown as a precautionary measure.