Heinous Stabbing Spree in Japanese Care Facility: 'No Such Cases Before'

© REUTERS / Issei KatoPolice officers investigate at a facility for the disabled, where a deadly attack by a knife-wielding man took place, in Sagamihara, Kanagawa prefecture, Japan, July 26, 2016.
Police officers investigate at a facility for the disabled, where a deadly attack by a knife-wielding man took place, in Sagamihara, Kanagawa prefecture, Japan, July 26, 2016. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
US
India
Global
On July 26, a Japanese care facility for people with intellectual disabilities located in the city of Sagamihara, west of Tokyo, was attacked by Satoshi Uematsu, a former employee who stabbed 19 sleeping patients to death and wounded 25 more.

The crime has caused deep shock not only among Japan residents but also among people around the world. In an interview with Sputnik, Souhei Satake, representative of Japanese Association of Assistance to persons with disabilities, said that he was struck by the cruelty of the crime.

"There haven't been such cases before. It is indeed a tragedy," the official said.

According to Satake, the working staff in such facilities is being primarily chosen on the basis of the interviews and in accordance with several criteria which Uematsu doesn't seem to possess.

"We are talking about helping people, and much attention is being paid to communication skills. This is a social institution, and the most important thing is that employees are kind to others. The employees are expected to love the patients," Satake said.

Uematsu was arrested earlier in the day. The assailant had a bag with several blood-stained knives when he gave himself up.

Rescue workers are seen in a facility for the disabled, where a deadly attack by a knife-wielding man took place, in Sagamihara, Kanagawa prefecture, Japan, in this photo taken by Kyodo July 26, 2016. - Sputnik International
Japan Care Facility Attacker Revealed as Euthanasia Supporter
In a letter reportedly submitted in February, Uematsu said that he would be capable of killing 470 severely disabled people, outlining his plan of action. The attacker said he would enter two homes for disabled people when there is few staff on duty before restraining the employees and killing physically and mentally impaired patients and handing himself over to police.

Uematsu was reportedly hospitalized after submitting the letter but was released two weeks later. Previously, the attacker worked at the facility between 2012 and early 2016 before leaving on his own accord.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала