Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

One of Brussels Attacks' Masterminds Previously Lived in Sweden

© AP Photo / Valentin BianchiPolice search passenger bags at the Central Station in Brussels on Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Police search passenger bags at the Central Station in Brussels on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - Sputnik International
Subscribe
One of those suspected of being the Brussels assaults orginizer died last week.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — One of the people suspected of planning the Brussels attacks, who was shot dead in a police raid last week, had previously lived in Stockholm, Swedish media reported.

On March 15, special forces in Brussels killed Algerian national Mohammed Belkaid during an anti-terrorist raid, which was linked to the investigation into the deadly November Paris attacks. The suspect was shot as he was trying to fire at police.

Policemen stand guard at the entrance of a security perimeter set in the Rue de la Loi near the Maalbeek subway station, in Brussels, on March 22, 2016 - Sputnik International
Najim Laachraoui Identified as Second Suicide Bomber in Brussels Airport
According to the Dagens Nyheter newspaper, 35-year-old Belkaid, whose flat in Brussels was raided by police just days before the deadly attacks hit the Belgian capital, had been registered in Sweden since 2010 and was married to a Swedish national.

Evidence found by police shows that Belkaid had links to terrorists allegedly involved in both Paris and Brussels attacks, according to the media.

On Tuesday, two suicide attacks took place at the Brussels Airport departure hall in the northeastern municipality of Zaventem and another explosion inside a subway carriage at the Maelbeek station near EU institutions. At least 31 people were killed and 300 were injured in the attacks.

Russian paratroopers - Sputnik International
Russian Paratroopers to Perform Live Fire Drills in Challenging Conditions
On Wednesday, Belgian Federal Prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw identified the Maelbeek suicide bomber as Khalid Bakraoui, and said his brother Ibrahim was one of two perpetrators of the blasts in Zaventem.

Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon said Thursday that a third man, seen in surveillance images together with the two brothers, was believed to still be at large. Some media reports have suggested that the third man in surveillance images could be Najim Laachraoui, a suspect in the deadly Paris attacks, which claimed the lives of 130 people and injured some 350 in November 2015.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала