- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Donetsk Militia Claims to Have Control of Key Supply Route to Kiev Forces

© Sputnik / Go to the mediabankDebaltsevo and Uglegorsk update
Debaltsevo and Uglegorsk update - Sputnik International
Subscribe
International
India
The strategic highway, which provided deliveries of ammunition and equipment to Ukrainian forces encircled in Debaltseve, was completely blocked by Donetsk People’s Republic militia, according to the statement of Donetsk military headquarters.

Ukrainian servicemen stand near a building damaged during fighting between militia and Ukrainian government forces in the eastern Ukrainian town of Debaltseve in Donetsk region, December 24, 2014 - Sputnik International
Kiev Orders to Mine Entire Rail Infrastructure in Debaltseve
DONETSK, (Sputnik) – The pro-independence militia in eastern Ukraine claimed Monday it took control over a strategic highway used to supply weapons and equipment for Ukrainian forces in Debaltsevo, the Donetsk military said.

"Currently this strategic highway, which provided deliveries of ammunition and equipment to Ukrainian forces encircled in Debaltsevo, is completely blocked by the DPR [Donetsk People's Republic] Army," a representative of the DPR headquarters told RIA Novosti.

The source said that pro-independence forces pushed Ukrainian forces out of Logvinovo, which borders the highway.

A Ukrainian serviceman guards at a checkpoint near the eastern Ukrainian town of Debaltseve in Donetsk region. - Sputnik International
Luhansk Carries Out First Air Attack Against Kiev-Led Forces
Ukrainian forces later on Monday disputed the DPR's claims. The head of the special operation press center, Alexander Mutzyanyk, told RIA Novosti attempted militia attacks were repelled by government troops.

One of Ukraine's biggest railroad junctions, Debaltsevo has become the area of intense clashes between the Ukrainian military and independence militias in recent weeks.

Reports continue to emerge of ongoing shelling in Debaltsevo, despite a temporary ceasefire agreement reached last week to evacuate civilians from the area. According to the reports, up to 10,000 Ukrainian troops remain surrounded after recapturing the contested town last July.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала