GENEVA, October 23 (RIA Novosti) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has registered almost 1,000 new Ebola cases in the last seven days in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone – the three countries worst hit by the disease, the organization said on Thursday.
"In terms of the fair number of cases in the last 7 days the total number is 976. These are the cases including confirmed, probable and suspected for the 3 countries - Nigeria, Liberia and Sierra Leone," the director of Global Capacities, Alert and Response for the World Health Organization, Isabelle Nuttall said at a press-conference.
According to the latest figures by the WHO, released on October 22, the current outbreak of Ebola has claimed 4,877 lives. A total of 9,936 cases of confirmed, probable and suspected Ebola infections has been reported in five affected countries – Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Spain and the United States – and in Nigeria and Senegal, recently declared free of the deadly virus.
Earlier on Thursday, in its statement at the third meeting of the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee regarding the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the WHO reiterated the recommendations on Ebola combating it had issued before. In particular, the organization said that it continues standing against the imposition of a general travel ban from Ebola-ridden countries.
"The Committee emphasized the importance of normalizing air travel and the movement of ships, including the handling of cargo and goods, to and from the affected areas, to reduce the isolation and economic hardship of the affected countries," the statement said, adding, however, that the WHO does not oppose entry screening and additional health monitoring currently introduced by several countries.
The Ebola virus is transmitted through direct contact with the bodily fluids of those infected. There is currently no officially approved medication for the disease, but several countries are now working on developing a drug to halt the virus spreading further.