06:08 GMT05 December 2020
Listen Live
    World
    Get short URL
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (104)
    0 910
    Subscribe

    Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier discussed the development of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict by phone with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan; the Russian president expressed deep concern over the ongoing hostilities, as well as the increasing involvement of terrorists from the Middle East in the clashes.

    The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defence has accused the Armenian military of shelling settlements of the Terter region on Wednesday morning. Yerevan has yet to comment on these claims.

    The current armed conflict in the Nagorno-Karabakh region started on 27 September; Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other of initiating the hostilities. The international community has strongly condemned the escalation and called on the parties to settle their differences peacefully.

    A US-brokered humanitarian ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, the third since the outbreak of hostilities last month, entered into force on Monday at 8:00 a.m. local time. The parties to the conflict have, however, accused each other of breaching the agreement.

    On 9 October, the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia arrived in Moscow at the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin. They held talks jointly for over 10 hours. As a result, Yerevan and Baku agreed to cease fire in Karabakh from noon October 10, to exchange prisoners and the bodies of fallen soldiers, and also to additionally agree on specific details of the truce. However, shortly after the ceasefire entered into force, the rival nations began to accuse each other of violations.

    A second attempt to organise a humanitarian ceasefire was made overnight on 18 October; however, just a few hours after the ceasefire came into force, Armenia and Azerbaijan once again accused each other of failing to comply.

    Follow Sputnik's Live Feed to Find Out More!

    New messages
    • 01:15

      Armenian, French Foreign Ministers Call for Immediate Ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh

      "Mnatsakanyan and Le Drian stressed the need to fulfil the agreements reached on an immediate ceasefire and the establishment of a stable truce, ensured by verification mechanisms. The foreign ministers also exchanged views on the agreement to hold a meeting in Geneva", the Armenian Foreign Ministry said.

    • 01:14

      Iranian Special Envoy for Nagorno-Karabakh Settlement Held Talks With Aliyev

      TEHRAN (Sputnik) – Abbas Araghchi, the Iranian special presidential envoy for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, has held negotiations with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, the Iranian government's portal said in a statement.

      The talks were held on Wednesday in the Azerbaijani capital of Baku, the statement said, without disclosing any details of the conversation.

      On Thursday, Araghchi is going to visit Moscow, and, after that, he plans to go to Yerevan and Ankara.

    • 22:33

      Stepanakert Hit by 5 Azerbaijani Missiles in Recent Minutes, Information Centre in Karabakh Says

      "According to preliminary data, five missile strikes have hit Stepanakert within the past several minutes", the Information Centre wrote in its Telegram channel.

    • 17:12

      Russian and French Foreign Ministers Discuss Karabakh, Express Serious Concern Over Ongoing Hostilities

    • 16:22

      Ankara Calls Armenia's Rocket Attack on Azerbaijan's Barda 'War Crime'

      The Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemned Armenia's deadly rocket attack on the Azerbaijani city of Barda on Wednesday, calling it a "war crime."

      The Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office said earlier in the day that at least 19 people were killed and 60 were injured as a result of Armenia's attack on Barda with the use of the banned cluster Smerch munitions. The accusations come after a Tuesday attack on the village of Qarayusifli in Barda region killed four people and injured another 14.

      "After yesterday's brutal attack, Armenia launched a new vile attack on civilians in the city of Barda, which is outside the conflict zone in Azerbaijan ... The Armenian leadership, which resorts to any means not to leave the occupied territory, is losing its mind and conscience. This last attack took its place on the list of war crimes committed by Armenia," the ministry said in a statement, calling on the OSCE Minsk Group cochairs to respond to this attack.

      Press secretary of the Armenian Defense Ministry Shushan Stepanyan denied Baku's accusations of an attack being carried out on Azerbaijani territory outside the conflict zone.

      On September 27, fighting started in Azerbaijan's breakaway republic of Nagorno-Karabakh. Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of unleashing hostilities. The international community urged the parties to solve the dispute through negotiations. A new US-mediated humanitarian ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, the third since the outbreak of hostilities, entered into force at 8 a.m. local time (04:00 GMT) on Monday.

    • 15:04

      Iranian Ground Forces Deployed to Northeastern Border, Report Says

      Iranian soldiers participate in military manoeuvres

      Iran Reportedly Continues Moving Armed Forces to Nagorno-Karabakh Border

      TEHRAN (Sputnik) - The Iranian armed forces have continued stepping up their presence in the country's northern areas adjacent to the conflict zone in Nagorno-Karabakh, the IRNA news agency reported on Wednesday, citing military sources.
      Read more
    • 13:49

      Armenia's Unified Information Centre Publishes Footage Showing Aftermath of Stepanakert's Shelling

    • 12:35

      Aliev Says Azerbaijan Takes Control Of Settlements in Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Zengilan and Qubadli Districts

    • 12:26

      Karabakh Ombudsman Says Azerbaijani Armed Forces Launched Over 15 Attacks on Stepanakert, Shusha on Wednesday

      The Azerbaijani armed forces conducted on Wednesday over 15 attacks on Stepanakert and Shusha, Artak Beglaryan, the human rights commissioner of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, said.

      "On October 28, the Azerbaijani armed forces conducted over 15 strikes on Stepanakert and Shusha, deliberately targeting a maternity hospital, residential buildings and some public facilities. One civilian was killed and two others were injured in Shusha," Beglaryan said, as quoted by the infocenter of the Nagorno-Karabakh government.

      Information about injuries in Stepanakert will be provided later, the ombudsman added.

      According to Karabakh's emergencies service, damage was done to a district of the capital of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.

      "Military aviation was used. Residential buildings and cars were damaged or completely destroyed in the bombing attacks. According to preliminary information, no one was injured," the emergencies service wrote on Facebook.

    • 12:03

      Azerbaijan Says Death Toll From Armenia's Attack on Barda Rises to 21, Some 70 Injured

      The death toll from the Armenian attack on the Azerbaijani town of Barda has grown to 21 from the previous 19, while the number of wounded people nears 70, the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office said on Wednesday.

      "As a result of the rocket strike on crowded areas of the town of Barda, which used banned cluster munitions and was conducted on October 28, at around 13:00 [09:00 GMT], 21 civilians were killed and around 70 sustained injured," the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office said in a statement.

    • 11:12

      Azeri Prosecutors Says Death Toll From Armenia's Attack on Barda Grows to 19, Some 60 Injured

      Here is a video showing the aftermath of the shelling of Barda.

    • 10:58

      Stepanakert Turns on Air Attack Alarm as Azeri Air Force Use Smerch Systems, Emergency Service Says

      The siren was switched on in the city of Stepanakert to warn of Smerch rocket launcher attack by the Azeri forces, the emergency service of the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh republic said Wednesday.

      "The enemy is shelling the capital of Stepanakert with the multiple rocket launcher Smerch. The information on the injured is being verified. The civil defense siren is on in Stepanakert," the officials wrote on Facebook.

    • 10:34

      Armenian, Turkish Nationals Scuffle in France at Rally in Support of Karabakh - Photo, Video

      Armenian diaspora protests Nagorno-Karabakh conflict outside Turkish embassy in Paris

      Armenian, Turkish Nationals Scuffle in France at Rally in Support of Karabakh - Photo, Video

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Representatives of Armenian and Turkish communities clashed in France's eastern department of Isere during a demonstration by Armenian diaspora in support of the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh republic, national media reported on Wednesday.
      Read more
    • 10:26

      Turkish President Erdogan Invites Putin to Participate in Karabakh Crisis Settlement

    • 10:23

      Armenian Defense Ministry Refutes Baku's Claims About Deadly Smerch Strike on Barda

      The Armenian Defence Ministry refuted on Wednesday Baku's claims about a Smerch strike on the Barda town by the Armenian military.

      "The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry's claims that the Armenian armed forces allegedly struck the town of Barda from the Smerch launcher are groundless and false," the Armenian Defense Ministry's spokeswoman, Shushan Stepanyan, wrote on Facebook.

    • 10:04

      Kremlin Says Concerned Over Continuing Clashes in Karabakh

      The Kremlin regrets and worries over the ongoing clashes in the Karabakh region, presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Wednesday.

      "The military campaign still goes on, this is a cause for regret and concern," Peskov told reporters when asked about the Kremlin's view of the current situation in the region.

    • 10:04

      Town of Barda Hit From Smerch Rocket Launcher, Azerbaijani MoD Claims

      The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that the Armenian armed forces hit the town of Barda, located not far from the Karabakh combat area, from the Smerch heavy multiple rocket launcher, leaving some people killed and injured.

      "In gross violation of the humanitarian ceasefire, the Armenian armed forces staged a rocket attack on the town of Barda from the Smerch launcher. There are killed and injured people, civilian infrastructure was damaged," the Azerbaijani Defence Ministry said in a statement.

    • 09:08

      Stepanakert Hit From Smerch Rocket Launcher, Armenian MoD Says

      The Armenian Defense Ministry accused the Azerbaijani armed forces on Wednesday of hitting Stepanakert, the capital of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, from a Smerch heavy multiple rocket launcher.

      "One Smerch attack was conducted on Stepanakert. No one was injured," the Armenian Defense Ministry's spokeswoman, Shushan Stepanyan, wrote on Facebook.

    • 08:56

      One Dead, Two Injured After Rocket Attack on Town of Shusha, Karabakh Emergency Service Says

      One person was killed, two were injured in the town of Shusha in Nagorno-Karabakh after a strike by heavy multiple rocket launcher Smerch, the local emergency service said Wednesday.

      "Shusha is being hit from Smerch multiple rocket launcher. There is one dead civilian and two injured," the emergency service said on Facebook.

    • 08:32

      Nagorno-Karabakh Army Reports Local Hostilities on Front Line

      The army of the unrecognised Nagorno-Karabakh Republic said on Wednesday that local hostilities were still ongoing on the front line.

      "Local hostilities are currently taking place in some areas of the front line. Defense Army units continue operations to eliminate enemy sabotage groups," the Karabakh army wrote on Facebook.

      The military also noted that the situation in the conflict zone remained stably tense at night.

      "In the evening, the enemy continued shelling settlements, in particular, [the town of] Martuni, villages of the Askeran region," the army added.

    • 07:31

      Azerbaijan's Civilian Death Toll From Karabakh Clashes Grows to 69, Prosecutor General Says

      Azerbaijan's civilian death toll from the Karabakh conflict has grown to 69, and the number of injured civilians has surged to 322, the Prosecutor General's Office said on Wednesday.

      "Sixty-nine people were killed and 322 people were inured. A total of 2,338 houses, 92 apartment blocks and 415 civilian facilities fell into disrepair," the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office said in statement.

    • 07:21

      Armenia Claims It Has Downed Another Azerbaijani UAV

    • 05:10

      Azerbaijan's Defenсe Ministry Accuses Armenian Armed Forces of Shelling Tartar District

       The Azerbaijani Defenсe Ministry accused the Armenian Armed Forces of shelling the Tartar district, located near the combat zone in the unrecognized republic of Nagorno-Karabakh.

      "On October 28, at 07:30 a.m., the Armenian Armed Forces shelled the territory of the Tartar district," the ministry said.

    live
    Live Updates: Azerbaijan Takes Control Of Settlements in Four Karabakh Districts, Aliev Says
    +
    Topic:
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (104)
    Tags:
    conflict, Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan, Armenia
    Community standardsDiscussion