05:45 GMT +320 August 2019
Listen Live
    An Iranian man takes a photo of an anti-Israel cartoon displayed at the second international exhibition of drawing and cartoons on the Holocaust in Tehran on May 14, 2016

    German Foreign Ministry Condemns Holocaust Cartoon Contest Underway in Iran

    © AFP 2019 / ATTA KENARE
    World
    Get short URL
    229

    The German Foreign Ministry condemns a Holocaust cartoon contest underway in Iran, the ministry's spokesman Martin Schaefer said Wednesday.

    BERLIN (Sputnik) — Earlier in May, the second International Holocaust Cartoon Contest commenced in the Iranian capital of Tehran.

    "I would like to tell you here that we…strongly condemn this contest," Schaefer said.

    According to the spokesman, the contest helped neither to promote deescalation of conflicts in the Middle East nor to establish confidence-building measures in the region.

    Last week, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) also condemned the contest, saying such an event could only fuel hatred and violence.

    According to media reports, the organizers of the contest have received over 800 artworks from more that 300 artists representing 50 countries, including Iran, Brazil, France, Turkey and China.

    Related:

    Holocaust Remembrance 2016: Remembering Humanity's Capacity for Inhumanity
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik