14:14 GMT +319 May 2019
Listen Live
    World

    Tensions Continue to Hold in Yemen’s Capital as Residents Urge Houthis to Leave City

    World
    Get short URL
    0 21

    Tensions continue to hold in Yemen's capital Sana'a following the latest confrontation between the armed supporters of al-Houthi and the representatives of the national security service.

    SANA'A, September 28 (RIA Novosti) - Tensions continue to hold in Yemen's capital Sana'a following the latest confrontation between the armed supporters of al-Houthi and the representatives of the national security service.

    Houthis continue to surround the streets of the city, its suburbs as well as government buildings. The delay in the election of the new prime minister is the main factor in the increase of tensions. The deadline of the election, which was reached between all the Yemeni political powers five days ago, has already expired, with the country remaining without an official government.

    "If Houthis want to be trusted, they must calm people, obey law and order, and leave the capital as soon as possible; they must also free all the government buildings they have occupied," Ammar Yahya, a resident of Sana'a, said in an interview with RIA Novosti.

    Injera Bassam Ali, who is one other resident of Sana'a, demanded that the Houthis keep the promises they made after they had occupied the capital. He said that many residents fear some of their actions, especially when they break into houses.

    In his turn, Arif Saleh said that "Houthis are Yemenis and have the same rights and obligations as any other citizens of Yemen". He also expressed his disagreement about the spread of the large numbers of armed people in the capital, with no law enforcement personnel being present. The resident urged for an immediate election of Prime Minister and formation of a new government, which would allow people to feel secure.

    "The government is fully responsible for its people," he added.

    Another resident of Sana'a, whose name was Sultan, remarked that Houthis and their supporters managed to have the prices for petroleum reduced after the government made it inaccessible for ordinary people. This, according to Sultan, entitles Houthis to take part in decision-making.

    Even though people in Sana's continue appealing to the rebels to leave, there is a considerable number of Houthi supporters, being present in the city. They, however, declined any conversation with media.

    Meanwhile, a suicide bomber has carried out an attack against Houthis in Yemen's Ma'rib governorate today. Al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility for the attack, which has so far been reported to have killed 15 Houthis and injured dozens. According to media records, al-Qaeda had previously threatened to target Houthis in Sana'a and other regions.

    Houthis have been protesting against the incumbent government of Yemen since mid-August, calling for economic and political reforms. Hundreds of residents were forced to flee the capital of the country for fear of escalation in violence when the riots grew in intensity last week.

    The government of Yemen has constantly accused the rebels of trying to topple the incumbent government. The beginning of the current riots dates back to 2004 when the Houthis launched a rebellion against the country's government.

    Tags:
    Houthis, Sanaa, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik