15:58 GMT +322 July 2019
Listen Live
    World

    Venezuela Scraps Plans to Embalm Chavez

    World
    Get short URL
    0 02

    The Venezuelan government has decided not to embalm the body of late president Hugo Chavez, Communications Minister Ernesto Villegas said on Friday.

    MEXICO CITY, March 15 (RIA Novosti) – The Venezuelan government has decided not to embalm the body of late president Hugo Chavez, Communications Minister Ernesto Villegas said on Friday.

    Chavez, who ruled Venezuela for 14 years, died on March 5 at the age of 58 after a two-year-long fight with cancer. Venezuela’s authorities announced the possibility of his embalming two days after his death.

    “We have ruled out the idea of embalming the body of Comandante Chavez after a Russian medical commission report, although many Venezuelans had hoped for this option,” Villegas wrote in his Twitter blog on Friday night.

    According to the minister, the Russian experts said Chavez’s body would have to be sent to Russia for seven to eight months to be properly embalmed.

    Thousands of Venezuelans escorted on Friday a black hearse carrying a casket with Chavez’s body on a 12-km trip from the Military Academy to the Military Museum in Caracas.

    The casket was placed in a marble sarcophagus in the central hall of the museum. Access to the sarcophagus will be open on Saturday for those who want to pay tribute to the late Venezuelan president.

    Venezuela will hold snap presidential elections on April 14.

    Miranda state governor Henrique Capriles, who lost to Chavez by a narrow margin during last year’s elections, will contest acting President Nicolas Maduro, whom Chavez named his successor before undergoing the latest surgery in December.

     

    Tags:
    Ernesto Villegas, Hugo Chavez, Venezuela
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik