MOSCOW, June 30 (RIA Novosti) – Russian investigators on Monday launched a criminal case over the killing of yet another cameraman in Ukraine’s eastern republic of Donetsk, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.
“This criminal case will soon be combined into one earlier launched on the use of military force by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, armed members of Ukraine’s National Guard, as well as the use of banned weaponry and methods in time of war,” Markin said, adding that the case also includes the use of banned weaponry in time of war.
“An employee of a Russian TV channel became the most recent victim of the Ukrainian authorities that blatantly ignore the generally accepted international rules on the protection of civilians during an armed conflict. The Investigative Committee will continue to collect evidence pertaining to these crimes and will take all possible measures as permitted by law, to punish every culprit involved in the crime,” Markin said.
A cameraman from Russia’s Channel-1 television station, Anatoly Klyan, was killed late Sunday night by gunfire while traveling by bus with a group of refugees outside the city of Donetsk.
Earlier in June, two employees of Russia’s state-run VGTRK media holding lost their lives in a mortar attack near the Ukrainian city of Luhansk. According to the Reporters Without Borders, more than 200 journalists have been injured or attacked in Ukraine since the start of the year.
Violence in southeastern Ukraine has been on the rise since the beginning of the punitive operation launched by Kiev authorities in mid-April. The special operation has already claimed multiple lives, including civilians, children and journalists on their professional duty.