NATO proposed on Monday for Russia to hold a meeting in late April to discuss the strengthening of anti-terrorism measures following Monday's deadly blasts in Moscow's subway, Russia's envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said.
At least 37 people died and 65 were injured in the two blasts that occurred in Moscow's subway stations Lubyanka and Park Kultury during the early morning rush hour with an interval of 40 minutes. The first attack took place at approximately 8:00 a.m.
"My colleagues from NATO headquarters contacted me. They expressed [their] condolences and proposed dedicating the next ambassador meeting to the issues of strengthening efforts in the fight against terrorism," Rogozin said.
The head of the country's Federal Security Service (FSB), Alexander Bortnikov, said terrorists from Russia's volatile North Caucasus may have been responsible for Monday's blasts. Bortnikov said the bodies of "two female suicide bombers who were residing in the North Caucasus had been found at the explosion sites."
Moscow Mayor Yury Lyzhkov declared Tuesday to be a day of mourning in Moscow.
Rogozin also said a meeting of NATO foreign ministers is due to take place in late April, adding the Russia-NATO Council might also hold a meeting in the same period.
MOSCOW, March 29 (RIA Novosti)