A 38-year-old man has died in a hospital in Moscow bringing the toll in the December 5, 2009 fire at a night club in Russia's Urals city of Perm to 155 people, the regional emergencies service said.
Some 60 people are continuing to undergo treatment in hospitals in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Perm and other cities after having suffered extensive burns and severe respiratory injuries.
The fire began in the Lame Horse night club after an indoor firework display went wrong, causing the wicker-decorated ceiling to catch alight. The death toll from the tragedy has risen steadily throughout the recent weeks.
The Perm fire was the deadliest Russia has seen in half a century. In 1961, a total of 110 people, including 106 children, died in a fire that broke out in a wooden school in Chuvashia.
Russia has an appalling fire-safety record. According to the country's emergency services, 15,165 people died in fires across the country in 2008, including 584 children. In the United States, with more than twice the population, the figure is around 3,400 deaths a year.
NIZHNY NOVGOROD, January 6 (RIA Novosti)