04:13 GMT +325 March 2019
Listen Live
    Russia

    Ingush president warns republic of suicide bomber threat

    Russia
    Get short URL
    0 10

    The president of Ingushetia said on Wednesday that a group of suicide bombers had arrived in the Russian North Caucasus republic.

    MOSCOW, September 2 (RIA Novosti) - The president of Ingushetia said on Wednesday that a group of suicide bombers had arrived in the Russian North Caucasus republic.

    "Three light vehicles, two trucks and a metal container with a capacity of three to five tons could be used in the carrying out of terrorist attacks," Yunus-Bek Yevkurov said on his website. He also said that it was necessary to carry out "a check of every yard" to prevent the attacks.

    In his video address, Yevkurov appealed to residents of the republic to attempt to stop their children and relatives going "into the forest" to join the militants.

    "If you know today, tomorrow where your children are, believe me, this is of great help to the authorities," he said.

    Rights groups have often alleged human rights abuses by law enforcement authorities in Ingushetia. Tanya Lokshina, deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Moscow office, claimed in an article in July that heavy-handed actions by the authorities were responsible for driving many young people into the arms of militant groups.

    Attacks on troops, police and other officials have been reported almost daily in Ingushetia and Russia's other North Caucasus republics in recent months. On August 17, Ingushetia was rocked by a suicide bombing which killed at least 24 police officers and injured 136.

    Yevkurov himself survived a car bomb attack on his motorcade in June and returned to work last month.

     

    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik