14:51 GMT +323 April 2019
Listen Live
    United Nations (UN) special envoy Staffan de Mistura (2nd L) sits facing Syria's main opposition group during Syrian peace talks at the UN Offices in Geneva on February 1, 2016

    Damascus Ready to Continue Dialogue With Syrian Opposition

    © AFP 2019 / FABRICE COFFRINI
    Politics
    Get short URL
    0 34

    Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Walid Muallem said on Tuesday that Damascus is ready to continue its participation in the peace talks in Geneva.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The UN-brokered talks on the Syrian reconciliation were launched in late January, but were later put on hold until February 25. Earlier in the day, Muallem held a meeting with UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura to discuss the issue.

    During the meeting, the minister reaffirmed the Syrian government’s commitment the dialogue "without preconditions," reiterating that the Syrian people have the right to determine the future of their country, the Syrian state news agency SANA reported.

    Moallem recalled the efforts made by the Syrian government to protect its citizens and deliver humanitarian aid, particularly in areas controlled by terrorist groups.

    On Monday, Syrian President Bashar Assad described the Syrian opposition delegation formed in Saudi Arabia for the talks as a group of "terrorists and traitors" and said he would not negotiate with them.

    Related:

    Syria Talks: How Russo-Syrian Advance May Change Geneva Agenda
    Refusal to Invite Syrian Kurds to Geneva Talks de Mistura’s Error
    UAE Statement on Ground Troops in Syria 'Aims to Pressure Geneva Talks'
    Tags:
    Syrian opposition, Intra-Syria talks, Walid Muallem, Syria
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik