WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The number of people killed in the US bombing of a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan earlier in October has risen to 23, Doctors Without Borders said via Twitter on Friday.
“With sadness we report another MSF [Doctors Without Borders] staff worker killed in Oct. 3 bombing,” the tweet said. “Death toll now at 23; ongoing efforts to ID more bodies.”
On October 3, a US airstrike destroyed the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, killing 12 staff and ten patients. The US and Afghan governments have opened an investigation into what they claim was an accidental bombing.
The petition calls for an investigation to be conducted by the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission (IHFFC), a never before used body created in 1991 to investigate violations of international humanitarian law.
IHFFC has agreed to investigate the airstrike, but needs the consent of the investigated parties, including the United States, to launch an inquiry.