Updated on 08:54 Moscow Time
DONETSK, September 5 (RIA Novosti) – The self-defense forces of the Donetsk People’s Republic have ceased fire Friday, in line with the agreement reached in Minsk earlier in the day, a military source told RIA Novosti.
“In line with the Minsk agreements, we ceased fire at 18:00 [local time, 15:00 GMT]. All units were informed about this decision,” he said.
Meanwhile, shooting still can be heard near the city of Donetsk, according to a RIA Novosti reporter.
Earlier, the city authorities of Donetsk also reported that shelling continued in the city despite ceasefire that came into force at 15:00 GMT.
"As of 18:00 [local time, 15:00 GMT] situation in Donetsk remains far from being calm, sounds of explosions are heard. At the moment, artillery shelling is under way in the city’s Petrovsky district,” the city council said in a statement.
On Friday, members of the Contact Group on Ukrainian reconciliation had a meeting in the Belarusian capital of Minsk, during which they agreed on a ceasefire, exchange of prisoners and humanitarian aid.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said he ordered the pro-government forces to stop military actions starting 15:00 GMT, as stated in the protocol.