Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

Leningrad under Siege

Subscribe
Seventy years ago, on January 27, 1944, Soviet forces definitively broke the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, as St. Petersburg was then known. Up to 1.5 million people were killed during the devastating 1941-1944 siege of Russia’s second city by Nazi Germany. Only 3 percent of them were killed by air strikes and artillery bombardments: The remaining 97 percent starved or froze to death. This RIA Novosti photo essay shows life in Leningrad during those terrible days.

Seventy years ago, on January 27, 1944, Soviet forces definitively broke the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, as St. Petersburg was then known. Up to 1.5 million people were killed during the devastating 1941-1944 siege of Russia’s second city by Nazi Germany. Only 3 percent of them were killed by air strikes and artillery bombardments: The remaining 97 percent starved or froze to death. This RIA Novosti photo essay shows life in Leningrad during those terrible days.

© RIA Novosti . Boris Kudoyarov / Go to the photo bankSeventy years ago, on January 27, 1944, Soviet forces definitively broke the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, as St. Petersburg was then known. Up to 1.5 million people were killed during the devastating 1941-1944 siege of Russia’s second city by Nazi Germany. Only 3 percent of them were killed by air strikes and artillery bombardments: The remaining 97 percent starved or froze to death. This RIA Novosti photo essay shows life in Leningrad during those terrible days. Photo: City residents drag a corpse along Nevsky Prospekt, the city’s main street. 01.04.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
1/18
Seventy years ago, on January 27, 1944, Soviet forces definitively broke the 872-day Siege of Leningrad, as St. Petersburg was then known. Up to 1.5 million people were killed during the devastating 1941-1944 siege of Russia’s second city by Nazi Germany. Only 3 percent of them were killed by air strikes and artillery bombardments: The remaining 97 percent starved or froze to death. This RIA Novosti photo essay shows life in Leningrad during those terrible days. Photo: City residents drag a corpse along Nevsky Prospekt, the city’s main street. 01.04.1942.
© RIA Novosti . Anatolii Garanin / Go to the photo bankCity residents undergo general military training on the square in front of the Alexandriinsky Theater. Leningrad, October 1941.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
2/18
City residents undergo general military training on the square in front of the Alexandriinsky Theater. Leningrad, October 1941.
© RIA Novosti . Boris Kudoyarov / Go to the photo bankSoldiers set up a barrage balloon on Nevsky Prospekt during the siege. 19.09.1941.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
3/18
Soldiers set up a barrage balloon on Nevsky Prospekt during the siege. 19.09.1941.
© RIA Novosti . Anatolii Garanin / Go to the photo bankDuring the siege, antitank hedgehogs, dragon’s teeth and barricades were put up at all entrances to the city. Leningrad, October 1941.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
4/18
During the siege, antitank hedgehogs, dragon’s teeth and barricades were put up at all entrances to the city. Leningrad, October 1941.
© RIA Novosti / Go to the photo bankA nurse with a stretcher rushes toward an injured man. 01.09.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
5/18
A nurse with a stretcher rushes toward an injured man. 01.09.1942.
© RIA Novosti . Shimanskii / Go to the photo bankA stenciled street sign reading: “Citizens! This side of the street is more dangerous during artillery bombardment.” 10.12.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
6/18
A stenciled street sign reading: “Citizens! This side of the street is more dangerous during artillery bombardment.” 10.12.1942.
© RIA Novosti . Vsevolod Tarasevich / Go to the photo bankA Leningrad street pictured after a German artillery bombardment. 01.01.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
7/18
A Leningrad street pictured after a German artillery bombardment. 01.01.1942.
© RIA Novosti . Anatolii Garanin / Go to the photo bankAn anti-aircraft gun and streetcar No. 12 in Leningrad. October 1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
8/18
An anti-aircraft gun and streetcar No. 12 in Leningrad. October 1942.
© RIA Novosti . Tselik / Go to the photo bankResidents of besieged Leningrad line up for water. 01.02.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
9/18
Residents of besieged Leningrad line up for water. 01.02.1942.
© RIA Novosti . Vsevolod Tarasevich / Go to the photo bankLeningrad residents clear the city’s streets after the first winter of the siege.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
10/18
Leningrad residents clear the city’s streets after the first winter of the siege.
© RIA Novosti . Ya. BrodskiiThe Road of Life across Lake Ladoga was the only chance for the salvation of Leningrad, and it was thanks to this ice road over the lake that any of the city’s residents survived. The scale of freight and passenger traffic over Lake Ladoga was unprecedented. At least 1,000 metric tons of food had to be delivered to Leningrad every day of the siege.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
11/18
The Road of Life across Lake Ladoga was the only chance for the salvation of Leningrad, and it was thanks to this ice road over the lake that any of the city’s residents survived. The scale of freight and passenger traffic over Lake Ladoga was unprecedented. At least 1,000 metric tons of food had to be delivered to Leningrad every day of the siege.
© RIA Novosti . Boris Kudoyarov / Go to the photo bankIn total, 361,109 metric tons of freight – primarily food – was brought in to the city across the lake. Over 550,000 Leningrad residents were transported out of the besieged city via the Road of Life.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
12/18
In total, 361,109 metric tons of freight – primarily food – was brought in to the city across the lake. Over 550,000 Leningrad residents were transported out of the besieged city via the Road of Life.
© RIA Novosti . Ya. Brodskii / Go to the photo bankEmpty picture frames hang in the State Hermitage Museum. 01.11.1941.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
13/18
Empty picture frames hang in the State Hermitage Museum. 01.11.1941.
© RIA Novosti . Ya. Brodskii / Go to the photo bankArtworks were stored in the Hermitage’s basement and storerooms during the siege. 01.05.1942.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
14/18
Artworks were stored in the Hermitage’s basement and storerooms during the siege. 01.05.1942.
© RIA Novosti / Go to the photo bankDamage caused to the Hermitage by artillery bombardments. 01.01.1944.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
15/18
Damage caused to the Hermitage by artillery bombardments. 01.01.1944.
© RIA Novosti . Anatolii Garanin / Go to the photo bankA concert for injured Red Army soldiers at a hospital. Galina Barinova, a violinist from the Moscow Conservatoire, performs. Leningrad, May 11, 1943.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
16/18
A concert for injured Red Army soldiers at a hospital. Galina Barinova, a violinist from the Moscow Conservatoire, performs. Leningrad, May 11, 1943.
© RIA Novosti . Shimanskii / Go to the photo bankMonuments such as the one to Czar Nicholas I on St. Isaac’s Square were boarded up to conceal and protect them during the siege. March 1, 1943.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
17/18
Monuments such as the one to Czar Nicholas I on St. Isaac’s Square were boarded up to conceal and protect them during the siege. March 1, 1943.
© RIA Novosti / Go to the photo bankRed Army soldiers link up after breaking the Siege of Leningrad. Reproduction of a 1944 photo.
Leningrad Under Siege - Sputnik International
18/18
Red Army soldiers link up after breaking the Siege of Leningrad. Reproduction of a 1944 photo.
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала