Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

Death toll from Iraqi suicide bombings climbs to 38

Subscribe
The death toll from two separate bombings which hit the western Iraqi city of Ramadi on Wednesday has risen to 38, a source in Anbar province's security forces said.

The death toll from two separate bombings which hit the western Iraqi city of Ramadi on Wednesday has risen to 38, a source in Anbar province's security forces said.

Several dozen others were injured in the two blasts.

The first attack occurred at around 9:30 a.m. local time (06:30 GMT). A suicide bomber in a car blew himself up at a junction in the center of Ramadi, near administration buildings.

Half an hour later a short distance away, another bomb exploded at the entrance to the provincial government offices, injuring the provincial governor, Qassim Mohammed Abid. A bomb was detonated by a suicide bomber dressed in a military uniform.

The head of the administration buildings' security service, Mahmoud al-Fahdawi, was reported killed.

Local authorities have declared a curfew in the city. U.S. helicopters are patrolling the area.

The Anbar province had been the heartland of support for militants after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, before local fighters accepted American backing and joined pro-government forces in 2006.

In June, the U.S. concluded the withdrawal of its troops from Baghdad and some other Iraqi cities as part of an agreement stipulating that American soldiers would leave the country by 2011. Some 130,000 U.S. troops still serve in Iraq, training the local military.

BAGHDAD, December 30 (RIA Novosti) 

 

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала