SARAJEVO, October 29 (RIA Novosti) - Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic will not be attending his war crimes trial in The Hague until the court meets his demand for more time to prepare, his lawyer said on Thursday.
Karadzic, facing war crimes and genocide charges at the International Criminal Tribune, says he needs at least 10 more months to prepare his defense. He is defending himself against charges that include the massacre of some 7,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995.
He did not attend the opening session of the trial on Monday.
Prosecutors argued that Karadzic had 15 months to prepare for the trial and should have been ready for court proceedings to begin. Karadzic insists he is innocent of all charges brought against him, which date from the 1992-95 Bosnian war.
Karadzic, 64, was arrested last year after he had spent over 12 years in hiding.