Another 50 militants ready to lay down arms in Chechnya-PM

Subscribe
International
India
Another group of about 50 militants are ready to surrender to authorities in Chechnya, the republic's prime minister said Saturday.
GUDERMES (Chechnya), July 8 (RIA Novosti) - Another group of about 50 militants are ready to surrender to authorities in Chechnya, the republic's prime minister said Saturday.

The republic's government said earlier 30 members of illegal armed formations had given themselves up with personal safety guarantees from Prime Minister Ramzan Kadyrov, also surrendering a large amount of arms and ammunition to law enforcement agencies.

"We are in constant talks with the relatives of members of illegal armed formations, conducting a massive public awareness campaign. Many militants contact us, asking for amnesty," Kadyrov said, adding that the 30 militants who had surrendered earlier might be amnestied.

The republic's Interior Ministry said previously 11 militants had given themselves up to federal forces in Chechnya.

"Former members of a group led by Ruslan Gelayev (killed in Dagestan in 2004) and Arab mercenary Abu Dzeit (killed by FSB forces in Ingushetia in 2005) have surrendered to officers of the Kadyrov Special Interior Force Regiment in the republic's Achkhoi Martan district," it said.

According to the ministry, a total of about 7,000 members of illegal armed formations have laid down arms since 2000.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала