* Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet of the Renaissance MICHELANGELO BUONAROTTI (1475-1564) died 440 years ago.
* English statesman and first historian of the 17th century English Bourgeois Revolution Edward Hyde CLARENDON (1609-1674) was born 395 years ago.
* The Soviet Union established diplomatic relations with the Union of Myanmar (former Burma) 56 years ago, in 1948.
* American actor John TRAVOLTA was born 50 years ago, in 1954. He starred in movies "Pulp Fiction", "Michael", "Face/Off", "Mad City" and many others.
* The Soviet Union established diplomatic relations with the Republic of Zimbabwe 23 years ago, in 1981.
* Il-76 aircraft crashed a year ago 35 kilometers away from Kerman (Central Iran). 302 members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard were killed.
* The first Naval Gathering (the oldest naval association) opened in Kronstadt situated on the Island of Kotlin in the Gulf of Finland 202 years ago, in 1802.
* The All-Russia Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) issues a statement on railway police and guard 85 years ago, in 1919.
* Hearing of the case of poet Iosif BRODSKY (1940-1996) opened in the Leningrad district court 40 years ago, in 1964. He was charged with idleness and sentenced to five-year exile and forced labor.
* Andrei Tarkovsky's film "Andrei Rublev" (the original title is "The Passion according to Andrei") premiered in the Moscow Cinema House 35 years ago. The film was released on big screens two years later.